achievements 2007 - 2011
REAL Skills through its programs and special events has Had
some 4,594 Student connections and community contacts
through its audiences with more than 5,859 people
School year initiatives –
1. Real Skills Peer Mentors - Active 7 years
75 High School students have become certified mentors with training provided by the Mediation Center of Dutchess County, Alternative to Violence NYS, and the National Association of Peer Counseling Programs (NAPP), Planned Parenthood SOS – Safe or Sorry – Peer Leader Education and Training. Each has mentored one elementary school child.
2. D.E.A.L. -Developing Esteemed Academic Life-Skills – ACTIVE 7 YEARS
52 Middle School students have completed this peer-mentor apprenticeship project that facilitates identification of self-awareness and esteem. It promoted “soft” skills that allowed participants to engage in meaningful relationships with peers, academic support systems and the community and included Workshops that promoted skills in public speaking, leadership, behavior management, mediation, and alternative to violence methodologies.
3. S.T.A.R.T. - Students Target Academic Retention Techniques – active 7 years
105 Elementary School students have completed this after-school curriculum which focused on techniques that support academic retention and progression. Trained college and high school students assisted in the tutorial process to engage these students in homework comprehension and completion. Recreational activities such as games, movies, museum/theatre visits, field trips, and parties were included to act as accomplishment based incentives to ensure that students are not only learning but are also having fun!
4. Touch of essence FASHION PROGRAM – active 2 years now inactive
21 Poughkeepsie Middle and High School Students participated in this hands-on education in various aspects of fashion design, modeling, make-up application, and issues of self-esteem.
5. Hip Hop Theater – ACTIVE 4 YEARS
50 Elementary, Middle and High School students working with 45 Drama students from Vassar College each year have created and presented musical plays in the Lateef Islam Memorial Theater of the Family Partnership Center.
i. 2009 “What’s Really Hood?” – Audience 950 People
ii. 2010 “No Shame in the Game.” – Audience 800 People
iii. 2010 “The Wizards of PK” – Audience 719 Elementary Students from Poughkeepsie Schools
iv. 2011 “Hood Profits – Audience 700 people
v. 2011 "Wisdom of Power Kingdon” – AUDIENCE 700 PEOPLE
6. Real toastmasters Youth Leadership Club – active 3 year
82 students have participated in this program to build their communication and leadership skills so they may become tomorrow’s leaders in business, industry and the community.
7. Summer program – Summer start Initiative – active 7 years
179 elementary students and 10 mentors participated in this initiative over the three years.
8 Special Affirmation and Education trips – Active 7 years
Some twenty two trips have taken some 55 students each to such locations as the Apollo Theater, the Bronx Zoo, The Holocaust Museum, Rockefeller Center and FAO Schwartz at Christmas time, the play “The Lion King”, the play “Stomp”, Museum of Natural History, Shomberg Museum, and Storm King Art Center for a total of more than 1200 student connections..
Special Programs -
1. T.I.P.P. Teen Interention program and Parity - Active 7 years
· The T.I.P.P. program is for Middle School students and runs from 6-10 PM on a Friday night. There is 1 hour of pro-educational workshops, focusing on themes such as anti-violence, gang prevention, and Planned Parenthood. The Party following the Program, lasts until 10 PM.
· Programs subjects have been: Mediation, Planned Parenthood, Police and Fire Departments, and Education. Eight events have been held, each with for a group of from 300 to 400 students for a total number of student connections of 2,500.
2. Community Programs at FPC
· February 21, 2009 – Black History Day – Audience 300
· June 19, 2009 – Juneteenth Celebration – Audience 350
· June 28, 2009 – Graduation and Award Ceremony – Audience 425
· October 24, 2009 – Lateef Islam Memorial Event – Audience 325
· June 29, 2010 – Graduation and Award Ceremony – Audience 375
· October 29, 2010 – Lateef Islam Memorial Event – Audience 275
· June 29, 2011 – Graduation and Awards Ceremony – Audience 360
· October 28, 2011 – Lateef Islam Memorial Event – Audience 280
1. City of POughkeepsie proclamation of April 30, 2010 as real
hip hop theater day by Mayor John C. Tkazyik